DIY PROJECT:COFFEE CAN LANTERNS
- Coffee Cans
- Ball-peen hammer
- 2 x 4 (one foot length)
- 1 x 4 (two foot length)
- Nails, screwdrivers (variety)
1. Prepare your workspace by attaching the 1×4 to the 2×4 as shown using wood screws or nails. Make sure the 1×4 extends the 2×4 on one end by the depth of your can and is attached with the 1inch edge upwards. This thin work area helps to prevent denting to your lantern when punching the design. Use the clamps to secure the 2×4 to a sturdy table.
2. Print out the design of your choice and tape it around your can.
3. Place the end of the 1×4 inside your can. Using a small nail, punch the corner dots in the design you choose. Turn the can as you go to make sure that the area you are punching is supported by the wood.
4. Remove the paper. Using your other tools finish punching the rest of the design following your guide holes. Experiment with a variety of nails and screwdrivers to create different shape and size punches.
5. For hanging, use the wire to create a simple hook by threading a length of wire through two holes on opposite sides of the can and secure.
6. To finish add 2-3 votives, light and enjoy!